Emily Nicklin has been lead trial counsel in cases (both individual and class action) in a number of areas including: professional liability for accountants and consultants, securities and common law fraud, contract, tort (including product liability and personal injury), employment discrimination, constitutional law and municipal law. Emily has been lead trial counsel in both jury and bench trials, as well as arbitrations, in various state and federal venues including Arkansas, California, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Wisconsin, and Washington, D.C.
Emily has been:
- Selected as one of America's Leading Lawyers for Business in Litigation: General Commercial by Chambers USA (2003-2013). Chambers describes Emily as an attorney with "tremendous courtroom strength."
- Selected as one of the "Top 250 Women in Litigation" by Benchmark Litigation (2012-2013).
- Recognized in The Legal 500 U.S. (2007-2010, 2012-2013). The Legal 500 described Emily as a trial lawyer who has "earned an excellent reputation for representing accountancy firms."
- Selected by peers as an "Illinois Super Lawyer" (2005-2013) and profiled as the number one woman in Business Litigation in Illinois in "Preparing the Cross (Examination)" in the February 2009 issue of Super Lawyers magazine.
- Named in Leading Lawyers Network as a Leading Illinois Lawyer (2003-2012); selected as the number one Leading Woman Business Lawyer in Illinois by Leading Lawyers Magazine — Business Edition (2009, 2010, and 2012) and the number two Leading Woman Lawyer overall in Illinois by Leading Lawyers Magazine — Women's Edition (2012).
- Quoted in "Top Guns," The American Lawyer article detailing Kirkland's win as the 2008 Litigation Department on the Year.
- Profiled in the March 2004, Crain's Chicago Business article, "Rainmaker Represents A-List Clients."
- Selected as a leading practitioner in the field of commercial litigation in The International Who's Who of Commercial Litigation Lawyers by Law Business Research and a "recommended" attorney in Global Counsel's 2003/04 Dispute Resolution Handbook.
- Recognized in March 2002 as one of Chicago's 30 Tough Lawyers by Chicago Magazine.
- Named by The National Law Journal as one of America's Top 50 Women Litigators in December 17, 2001.
Trial counsel for Price Waterhouse (now PricewaterhouseCoopers), Andersen Consulting (now Accenture), Arthur Andersen and Ernst & Young LLP in various federal and state court cases around the country on claims of professional liability and breach of contract in connection with audit, tax and consulting services, including areas of technology and business re-engineering.
Trial counsel for Dow Corning in breast implant litigation in California.
Trial counsel for Navistar in multi-district litigation concerning retiree health benefits, leading to landmark corporate restructuring and successful resolution of potential claims by unions and retirees.
Trial counsel for Morgan Stanley and PricewaterhouseCoopers in class litigation concerning Title VII pattern and practice sex discrimination claims.
Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
Member, Board of Trustees, University of Chicago
Chair, Board of Trustees, University of Chicago Medical Center
Deputy Corporation Counsel, City of Chicago 1989-91