Barbara is a trial-experienced intellectual property litigator who has represented clients in patent, trademark, trade secret, and copyright matters involving a broad range of technologies, including refrigerator water filters, mobile device management, spinal derotation instrumentation, mobile device user interfaces, and computer-aided drafting (CAD) software.
She has managed and developed the strategy for cases of various sizes—from NPE litigation to bet-the-company competitor cases. She has supervised the collection, review, and production of millions of documents; worked with experts in drafting invalidity and non-infringement reports; prepared IPR and CBM petitions; presented at technology tutorials and Markman hearings; argued motions from discovery to summary judgment; taken and defended numerous depositions of percipient and expert witnesses; and presented witnesses at trial. She has represented clients such as Autodesk, VMware, and Whirlpool. Super Lawyers Magazine has named her a “Rising Star” in Northern California every year since 2016.
She also has taken to trial, or successfully settled, several pro bono cases involving unlawful search, use of excessive force, as well as NEPA and Wilderness Act claims. She also represented California public school children alleging that the State has failed to give them equal access to literacy.
“Fixing Alice,” Intellectual Property Magazine, February 25, 2019
“End of the Year Wrap-Up: 2017’s Hottest Patents Decisions,” BNA’s Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, January 12, 2018
“Versata: The Federal Circuit Explains the Parameters and Appealability of CBM Proceedings,” MoFo IP Newsletter, October 2015
Admissions & Qualifications
- Supreme Court of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- University of Southern California, Gould School of LawJ.D.2009
Order of the Coif
- Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International StudiesM.A., International Economics & European Studies2006
- Stanford UniversityB.A., International Relationswith Honors2004