Nic Gladd is a corporate Of Counsel in the Washington, D.C., office of Kirkland & Ellis LLP. Nic represents clients in complex regulatory, transactional, and litigation matters involving the energy industry, with a particular focus on power markets and infrastructure.
Nic served at the U.S. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) for more than six years, where he held several high-level positions. He served as legal advisor to two FERC Commissioners—Chairman Kevin J. McIntyre and Commissioner Tony Clark—whom he counseled on matters involving organized wholesale electricity markets, natural gas and oil pipeline rates and infrastructure, North American Electric Reliability Corporation standards, and electric transmission rates and interconnection rules.
Prior to joining Chairman McIntyre’s staff in 2017, Nic was a litigation attorney in the FERC Solicitor's Office, where he defended FERC in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit and U.S. District Courts. In that role, he litigated numerous high-profile cases concerning forward capacity markets, power generation and interconnection, interregional transmission planning, natural gas pipeline certificates and rates, and hydropower facility licensing. Nic began his service at FERC in the Office of the General Counsel’s Energy Markets Division, where he drafted agency orders on a range of matters, including RTO/ISO tariffs and public utilities’ return on equity.
Moderator, “Jurisdictional Blurred Lines,” Energy Bar Association Panel Discussion
Moderator, “Electricity and Natural Gas Coordination: As Winter Approaches, Regulators and the Energy Industry Respond,” Energy Bar Association Panel Discussion
Memberships & Affiliations
Energy Bar Association
- Chair, Energy Bar Association Demand-Side Resources/Smart Grid Subcommittee, 2017–2018
- Chair, Energy Bar Association Electricity Committee, 2015–2016
- Vice Chair, Energy Bar Association Electricity Committee, 2014–2015
Admissions & Qualifications
- Admitted only in Massachusetts and practice is supervised by principals of the Firm
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Vermont Law SchoolJ.D.magna cum laude2012
American Jurisprudence awards in Administrative Law and Advanced Energy Seminar
- Bowdoin CollegeA.B., International Environmental Policy2003