Jeremy Iloulian is an associate in Kirkland & Ellis LLP’s International Trade and National Security Practice Group in the Chicago office. Jeremy advises clients on complex cross-border transactional, regulatory, and investigative matters that touch U.S. national security, foreign investment, and international trade including:
- Reviews by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and CFIUS concerns related to private equity fund formation;
- Economic sanctions administered by Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC);
- Export controls administered under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) of the U.S. Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS);
- Export controls administered under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) of the U.S. Department of State Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC);
- Anticorruption compliance counseling in matters involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA);
- Import laws administered by U.S. Customs and Border Protection;
- Anti-boycott regulations; and
- Anti-money laundering laws and regulations (FinCEN).
Jeremy has advised and counseled various types of U.S. and international clients, such as public and private companies, private equity funds, and non-profits that span across a multitude of industries including aerospace and defense, energy, entertainment, fashion, food and beverage, healthcare, infrastructure, technology, telecommunications, and transportation.
Additionally, Jeremy has presented and published research related to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) and maritime law.
“What’s Next in the U.S.-China Strategic Competition” Jeremy Iloulian, Mario Mancuso, Sanjay Mullick, Anthony Rapa, and Abigail Cotterill, Kirkland & Ellis LLP Alert (October 10, 2019).
“3 Policy Developments to Watch as US-China Divide Grows” Jeremy Iloulian, Mario Mancuso, and Sanjay Mullick, Law360 (October 9, 2019).
“The G20: What to Watch” Mario Mancuso, Shawn Cooley, Sanjay Mullick, Anthony Rapa, Abigail Cotterill, and Jeremy Iloulian, Kirkland & Ellis LLP Alert (June 26, 2019).
“What EU Investment Screening Will Mean For Dealmakers” Mario Mancuso, Anna Schwander, Shawn Cooley, J. Matthew O’Hare, & Jeremy Iloulian, Law360 (March 12, 2019).
“Council of the European Union Approves Regulation to Screen Inbound Foreign Investment: What Dealmakers Need to Know Now” Anna Schwander, Mario Mancuso, Lucille Hague, Jeremy Iloulian, J. Matthew O’Hare, & Shawn Cooley, Kirkland & Ellis LLP Alert (March 7, 2019).
“U.S. Treasury Department Issues New Rule on Mandatory CFIUS Declarations,” Mario Mancuso, Sanjay Mullick, Anthony Rapa, H. Boyd Greene, Lucille Hague, Jeremy Iloulian, & William Phalen, Kirkland & Ellis LLP Alert (October 12, 2018).
“Changes in U.S. Cuba, Russia and Iran Sanctions Create Uncertainty for Global Businesses,” Mario Mancuso, Joanna Ritcey-Donohue, Lucille Hague, Jeremy Iloulian, & Palmer Quamme, Kirkland & Ellis LLP Alert (June 21, 2017).
Academic Journal Publications
Mario Mancuso, Sanjay Mullick, & Jeremy Iloulian, North Korea: Shipping and Supply Chain Risks and Risk Mitigation, 35 REV. BANKING & FIN. SERVICES 37 (March 2019).
Jeremy Iloulian, Note, From Shark Finning to Shark Fishing: a Strategy for the U.S. & EU to Combat Shark Finning in China & Hong Kong, 27 DUKE ENVTL. L. & POL’Y F. 345 (2017).
Presenter, “US Priorities for a Legally Binding Instrument on Marine Biological Diversity of Areas Beyond National Jurisdiction,” Salzburg Cutler Fellows Program (February 23, 2018).
Admissions & Qualifications
- 2019District of Columbia
- Duke University School of LawJ.D.2018
Editor-in-Chief, Duke Environmental Law & Policy Forum
Duke Environmental Law and Policy Clinic, Zeitgeist Award
Salzburg Cutler Law Fellow, 2018
- The George Washington UniversityB.A., International Affairs & Environmental Studiescum laude2013