Helena Kiepura is an intellectual property litigation partner in Kirkland’s Washington, D.C. office. She has significant experience in complex patent litigation matters, and particularly in Section 337 investigations before the United States International Trade Commission. She also represents clients in U.S. district courts, in state court antitrust disputes arising out of the settlement of Hatch-Waxman cases, and in inter partes review proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Helena’s strong technical background includes a degree in the life sciences and litigation experience in a broad range of technologies, including mobile device hardware and software, pharmaceuticals, thin-film coating, mechanical devices, elastomers and thermoplastics, vehicular motors, hydraulic fracturing, radio frequency identification, magnetic tapes, website development software, semiconductors, flash memory, and cloud computing.
Helena also maintains an active pro bono practice, focusing particularly on issues affecting our nation’s veterans. She regularly represents veterans seeking disability benefits for in-service injuries and illnesses, volunteers at legal aid clinics aimed specifically at veterans, and conducts trainings for other attorneys regarding legal issues affecting veterans.
Presenter, “Assessing the Intricacies of Obtaining General Exclusion Orders,” American Conference Institute Practitioners’ Think-Tank on ITC Litigation & Enforcement (August 2020)
Presenter, “Commission Review and Federal Circuit Appeals,” ITCTLA Fall Meeting (November 2019)
Presenter, “Reading Patent and Trademark File Wrappers,” IP Retreat (October 2019)
Presenter, “The Fast and the Furious: Strategies for Bringing and Defending Cases at the ITC” (May 2019)
Presenter, “ITC Practice,” IP Retreat (October 2017)
Memberships & Affiliations
Admissions & Qualifications
- 2011, District of Columbia
- 2009, Illinois
- Registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (pro hac vice)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas (pro hac vice)
- University of Illinois College of LawJ.D.summa cum laude2009
Order of the Coif
Rickert Award for Excellence in Academic Achievement
Development Editor, University of Illinois Law Review
Graduated first in her class
- Cornell UniversityB.S., Biological Sciencessumma cum laude2006Biological Sciences Award for Academic Excellence