James Rapore is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Kirkland & Ellis LLP and a member of the Litigation and Government, Regulatory & Internal Investigations practice groups. James specializes in high-stakes complex civil litigation. He also specializes in defending companies and individuals in government investigations and prosecutions or enforcement actions resulting from those investigations.
Clients seek James’s representation when they are facing novel issues and require unique approaches. James has a proven track record in achieving exceptional and unprecedented results for clients. For example, James recently obtained a dismissal with prejudice of a federal securities fraud indictment alleging over $98 million in losses. James also achieved the dismissal of several thousand cases against BP alleging economic loss as a result of governmental actions following the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Additionally, James has achieved numerous victories in complex disputes in the Delaware Court of Chancery.
“Rising Star” Southern California Super Lawyers
Kirkland & Ellis Pro Bono Service Award
Memberships & Affiliations
Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Admissions & Qualifications
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- University of California, Berkeley, School of LawJ.D.2011
Order of the Coif
Earned four Jurisprudence Awards (highest grade in class) and two Prosser Prizes (second-highest grade in class).
Publishing Editor, California Law Review
- Rice UniversityB.A., Philosophy, Management & Political Sciencesumma cum laude2007Phi Beta Kappa