Michael Schulman is member of the firm’s labor and employment practice group, based in Washington, D.C. Michael has extensive experience counseling employers on issues related to federal, state, and local employment and labor laws, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 1981 of the Civil Rights Act of 1866, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the National Labor Relations Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act, and the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act. He has counseled companies to ensure compliance with these laws, as well as companies evaluating potential exposure arising out of non-compliance.
In addition to counseling, Michael advises clients on labor and employment matters arising in the context of both transactions and litigations. In the transactional setting, Michael conducts acquisition-related due diligence and risk assessment and assists clients in resolving post-acquisition and restructuring-related labor and employment issues. In the litigation context, Michael represents employers in federal and state court litigation, administrative agency proceedings, and arbitrations arising out of alleged labor and employment law violations. Michael has defended employers against actions brought by government agencies, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Department of Labor, as well as actions initiated by current and former employees. He has also prosecuted suits against former employees and their new employers for breach of restrictive covenants.
Admissions & Qualifications
- 2012New York
- 2012District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- The George Washington University Law SchoolJ.D.2011
- University of DelawareB.A., Political Science (Public Law Concentration)2008Minor in Economics