Norm Champ is a partner in the New York office of Kirkland & Ellis LLP, where he heads up the regulatory solutions practice in the Investment Funds Group. Previously, Norm was the director of the Division of Investment Management at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). Prior to that he was the Deputy Director of the SEC’s Office of Compliance, Inspections and Examinations (OCIE) and the Associate Regional Director for Examinations in the SEC’s New York Regional Office. In these capacities he supervised SEC examinations of investment advisers and other market participants.
Norm counsels the most sophisticated private fund sponsors in the world on complying with the constantly changing regulatory environment in the United States and other countries. Private fund sponsors seek out Norm’s advice because he can bring to bear his perspective as a former regulator, a former partner of a private fund manager and now a law firm partner. Norm’s large and wide-ranging practice, including defending numerous SEC examinations, gives him unparalleled insight into the most pressing regulatory issues in the market.
Norm advises private fund sponsors in five main areas:
- Adviser Structuring — Counseling new sponsors and existing sponsors in structuring and registering investment advisers, including setting up compliance infrastructure.
- Fundraising — Assisting private fund sponsors in fundraising to make sure disclosure meets regulators’ expectations.
- Transactions — Private fund sponsors often consult Norm on deals to make sure that deal structures and related fees will withstand regulatory scrutiny.
- GP Strategic Matters — Assisting private fund sponsors with regulatory issues regarding minority stake sales, asset management mergers and acquisitions and secondary transactions.
- Government Interaction — Kirkland has represented private fund sponsors in numerous examinations and enforcement actions, including more than 175 SEC examinations since 2012. Norm and his team draw on this vast store of knowledge to help private fund sponsors avoid issues and navigate SEC examinations and investigations.
Norm's most recent book, Mastering Money, a personal finance guide for all working Americans, is available on Amazon, www.Barnesandnoble.com and in stores.
Norm has appeared on Fox Business News, CNBC, Newsmax, WABC Radio, Fox Nation, Jane King and other media to discuss economic and financial industry topics.
Norm’s first book, Going Public, about his experiences at the SEC is available at Amazon, www.Barnesandnoble.com and other online sellers. For more information on Norm’s books and speaking engagements, visit www.normchamp.com.
Norm is a frequent and seasoned speaker having presented on securities law topics at SEC programs, Princeton University’s Bendheim Center for Finance, the Practicing Law Institute, ICI, SIFMA, MFA, the Saudi Central Bank, the New York City Bar Association, the International Bar Association, the ACA Compliance Group, the Financial Times, American Investment Council and others.
He is also a lecturer on investment management law at Harvard Law School.
Co-author with David A. Breach, Chapter on “Investment Management” in treatise Successful Partnering Between Inside and Outside Counsel (Thomson Reuters 2021).
Chambers Global, Band 2 (Investment Funds: Regulatory & Compliance), 2022–2023
Chambers USA, Band 2 (Investment Funds: Regulatory & Compliance), 2021–2023
Harvard Law School Lecturer on Investment Management Law since 2008
SEC Chairman’s Award for Law and Policy, 2014, 2011
SEC Chairman’s Award for Labor Management Relations, 2014, 2011
SEC Chairman’s Analytical Methods Award, 2013
Memberships & Affiliations
Advisory Council, James Madison Program in American Ideals and Institutions, Princeton University
Former Member, Advisory Council, School of Public and International Affairs, Princeton University
Former Director, School of American Ballet at Lincoln Center
Former Trustee, The Spence School
Admissions & Qualifications
- 1990New York
- Harvard Law SchoolJ.D.cum laude1989
- King's College LondonM.A., War Studies1986Fulbright Scholar
- Princeton UniversityA.B., Historysumma cum laude1985