Exceedingly intelligent, strategic, creative, responsive and humble.
- Chambers USA, 2017
One of the nation’s leading tax controversy and planning attorneys, Richard Husseini brings to bear his 30 years of experience to successfully represent private and public companies and high-net-worth individuals in complex tax matters. He is described as “very practical and sharp technically. He makes things easy to understand and he's very responsive.” (Chambers USA 2021). Richard is recognized by Chambers USA, The Legal 500 United States and Best Lawyers in America (Woodward White, Inc.).
He has deep experience in every facet of the tax controversy practice. His experience includes handling matters before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in examination, mediation and appeals proceedings, before arbitrators in private party tax disputes, and before courts and regulatory bodies, including those before the United States Tax Court, United States Court of Federal Claims, United States District Courts, state courts, and public utility commissions.
He also has an active federal transactional tax practice, with specific experience in tax issues affecting the energy, oil and gas, and electric and gas utility industries (including tax normalization issues).
Richard has extensive knowledge of privilege and ethical issues affecting tax practice. He regularly counsels clients on their interactions with outside auditors, tax issues affecting financial disclosure issues, and tax investigations.
Richard is also active in the community. He serves as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the University of Dallas and as a Director on the Board of Houston Grand Opera. He is a past board member of Genesys Works Houston and served as past President of the St. Thomas More Society of Galveston-Houston.
Following graduation from law school, Richard served as a law clerk to the Honorable Richard A. Posner of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Listed in Chambers USA, 2008–2021
- Chambers USA 2019 applauds him for his "ability to enter into dialogue with tax auditors and assist in reaching acceptable settlements for complex issues.”
- Chambers USA 2018 describes him as a “very, very good litigator.”
- Chambers USA 2018 quoted one of his clients as saying "he is an outstanding corporate tax lawyer - one of the best in the business."
- Chambers USA 2012 quoted his clients as saying that “he is non-confrontational but very strong, so fights a good fight without being rude or inconsiderate.“
- Clients also noted that he has the "best memory of anyone I've ever met," and that he is "good at dissecting complex facts into simple one-line explanations" Chambers USA 2015.
Listed in The Legal 500 United States, 2012–2020
- The Legal 500 United States 2015 notes that "he has strong technical and procedural skills and is also a strong communicator and collaborator.“
- The Legal 500 United States 2012 notes his clients assess him as "extremely smart“ and "very personable" with the "intuitive skills that are rare in this type of attorney."
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward White, Inc.), 2005–2021, Tax Law since 2005 and Litigation and Controversy – Tax since 2011
- Best Lawyers in America (Woodward White, Inc.), 2012 indicates clients as stating, "Richard Husseini is one of the best in the business. He is cordial, responsive, knowledgeable and has a sharp instinct when getting to the bottom of an issue.”
Selected to the Law360 Tax Editorial Advisory Board, 2014–2021
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer (Thomson Reuters), 2003–2021
Named one of the "Top 40 Under 40" lawyers in Texas by Texas Lawyer, 2001
Judge Thomas Gibbs Gee Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service, 1998 & 2009
Memberships & Affiliations
Houston Tax Procedure Group
Board Chair and Trustee, University of Dallas
Director, Houston Grand Opera and Houston Grand Opera Endowment
Former Director, Genesys Works Houston
Past President, St. Thomas More Society of Galveston-Houston
Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulcher of Jerusalem
Admissions & Qualifications
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- University of Chicago Law SchoolJ.D.with High Honors1991
Order of the Coif
Associate Articles Editor, University of Chicago Law Review
Bradley Fellow in Law and Government
- University of DallasB.S., Mathematicssumma cum laude with first honors1988