James E. Marina, P.C.
James Marina is a partner in Kirkland’s Intellectual Property Litigation Group. James focuses on complex patent matters in federal court and before the International Trade Commission, with an emphasis on disputes involving the electrical arts and computer software. In more than 25 years of practice, James has handled cases for numerous leading high-technology clients, including Samsung, Intel, Alcatel Lucent, Cisco, and IBM. James is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Recently, James has led the efforts for Samsung in multiple ITC proceedings against Nvidia Corporation (offensive), Dynamics Inc. (defensive), and Sonrai Memory Limited (defensive), winning all three cases for Samsung. In the Nvidia case, following trial, the Administrative Law Judge found that Nvidia’s graphics processors infringed all three asserted Samsung patents covering chip-miniaturization technology. In the Dynamics case, following trial, all four of the asserted patents were found invalid, giving Samsung a complete defense victory. In the Sonrai case, James obtained a rare summary judgment of no violation based on Sonrai’s lack of standing due to a defect in a terminal disclaimer for the asserted patent. James also recently served as lead counsel for Intel in three IPR proceedings, successfully invalidating three patents asserted against Intel by PACT XPP.
Memberships & Affiliations
New York Intellectual Property Law Association
National Hispanic Bar Association
Admissions & Qualifications
- 1996New Jersey
- 1997New York
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey1996
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York1997
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York1997
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin1997
- United States Patent and Trademark Office1998
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit1998
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit2005
- New York University School of LawJ.D.1996Staff Editor, Journal of International Law & Politics
- The Cooper UnionB.E., Mechanical Engineeringsumma cum laude1993
Tau Beta Pi
Pi Tau Sigma