Kasdin Mitchell is a partner in the Washington, D.C., office of Kirkland & Ellis LLP. Her practice focuses on appellate litigation, complex trial litigation, and strategic counseling. Kasdin has argued appeals and authored briefs and motions at all levels of the federal court system as well as in state courts and arbitration. Kasdin’s litigation experience spans a wide range of topics, including securities law, environmental law, intellectual property, the First Amendment, the Second Amendment, the Takings Clause, and nearly all aspects of federal jurisdiction.
Kasdin also maintains an active pro bono practice: She recently argued an appeal on behalf of a state prisoner seeking federal habeas relief from a sentence imposed in violation of the Sixth Amendment; she represents the Archdiocese of Washington in its lawsuit against the D.C. metro, arguing that the metro’s refusal to advertise the Archdiocese’s charitable-giving campaign violates the First Amendment; and she represents parents of New York primary school students suing the state of New York to vindicate their state constitutional right to a sound, basic education.
Prior to Kirkland, Kasdin served as a law clerk to Justice Clarence Thomas on the U.S. Supreme Court and as a law clerk to Judge William H. Pryor Jr. on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. She also served as the Assistant Solicitor General for the State of Alabama. Prior to law school, Kasdin worked as the Assistant Press Secretary to the First Lady at the White House, where she was an on-the-record spokesperson for Mrs. Laura Bush, and in the Office of Fossil Energy at the U.S. Department of Energy, where she worked on issues related to oil, gas, and coal.
Admissions & Qualifications
- 2019District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- Yale Law SchoolJ.D.2012
Senior Editor, Yale Law Journal
Co-Editor-in-Chief, Yale Law & Policy Review
- Yale UniversityB.A., Political Sciencewith Distinction2007