Andrew R. Running has extensive experience in environmental, insurance, toxic tort and general commercial litigation and arbitration. He has secured coverage victories for numerous clients in environmental contamination, product liability and toxic tort cases. Andrew has tried numerous environmental lawsuits involving claims of property damage and alleged regulatory violations, as well as litigation over the allocation of responsibility for the cleanup of hazardous waste sites. He has successfully defended product liability actions involving allegations of hazardous substance contamination. His arbitration experience includes the trial of cases involving commercial breach of contract claims, disputes between international joint venture partners in the telecommunications and automobile manufacturing fields, non-compete clause disputes, biotechnology licensing disputes and reinsurance and insurance fraud claims.
Andrew has been selected as one of America's Leading Lawyers for Business in Environment by Chambers USA every year since 2005. One client noted "he is the person you want on your team when you have to dive into hard-core environmental science and understanding of regulations." He was selected as one of The Best Lawyers in America, U.S. News and World Report, Best Lawyers® in Litigation — Environmental from 2012–2019. He was also recognized in the 2011, 2012, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 editions of The Legal 500 U.S. for Environmental Law.
Memberships & Affiliations
Admissions & Qualifications
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the District of Nebraska
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Yale UniversityJ.D.1982Runner-up, Thurman Arnold Moot Court Prize
- University of ChicagoA.B., Economics1979Phi Beta Kappa