Jeanna Wacker is an experienced intellectual property litigation partner in the New York office of Kirkland & Ellis LLP. She concentrates her practice on patent litigation in the life sciences field and has extensive experience representing clients in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, chemical and medical device industries. Jeanna has represented both plaintiffs and defendants at all stages of litigation, including trial and appeal. Her clients have included Bristol-Myers Squibb, Hoffmann La-Roche, E.I. du Pont de Nemours, Merus B.V., Novartis Pharmaceuticals, Genentech, Gilead Sciences, Ranbaxy, Boehringer Ingelheim, Sun Pharmaceuticals, Hospira, Pfizer, Impax, IBM and Advanced Technology Materials, Inc.
Jeanna is also regularly called upon to advise pharmaceutical and biotech companies on intellectual property aspects of corporate merger agreements and product acquisitions.
Prior to joining Kirkland, Jeanna was a Counsel at Kaye Scholer in the intellectual property group and earlier, Jeanna was an associate in Morgan & Finnegan's patent litigation group.
“FORUM: Paragraph IV filings and patent protection,” Financier Worldwide Magazine, January 2019 (forum participant).
F.C. Mizzo, L. Ben-Ami, J.M. Wacker, J. Bova and J. Lam, “Pharmaceutical IP and Competition Law in the United States: Overview,” Thomson Reuters Global Guide on Practical Law, June 1, 2018.
“Assessing the True Measure of Damages in an At-Risk Launch,” Paragraph IV Dispute Master Symposium, October 3, 2018.
“Teva v. Sandoz - A Debate on the Standard of Review for Claim Construction: De Novo vs. Deferential,” Paragraph IV Disputes Master Symposium, September 30, 2014.
“Perspectives on Recent Patent Legislative and Supreme Court Developments,” NYIPLA Annual Luncheon CLE, May 20, 2014.
“An Outside Counsel Perspective: Maximizing Opportunities to Succeed With Colleagues and Clients,” NYIPLA Women in IP Law and CLE Program, June 28, 2012.
Recognized in The Legal 500 United States for Patent Litigation: Full Coverage, 2018
“Rising Star” for Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers, 2014
Memberships & Affiliations
New York State Bar Association
New York Intellectual Property Law Association, Former Board Member, Former Co-Chair of Women in IP Law Committee
Admissions & Qualifications
- 2004New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (pro hac vice)
- United States District Court for the District of Delaware (pro hac vice)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California (pro hac vice)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (pro hac vice)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri (pro hac vice)
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts (pro hac vice)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia (pro hac vice)
- Boston University School of LawJ.D.cum laude2003
- University of MinnesotaB.S., Biochemistry & Genetics and Cell Biology1998