Andrew L. Wright, P.C. is a partner in the investment funds group at Kirkland & Ellis and is internationally recognized as one of the world’s leading attorneys in the field of private investment funds.
With over 20 years’ experience counseling many of the industry’s largest and most prominent fund sponsors, as well as numerous boutique managers, Andrew has advised on hundreds of billions of dollars of private fund formations across a wide variety of strategies, including private equity, growth equity and leveraged buyout funds, funds focused on industry sectors such as technology, healthcare, consumer/retail, the financial sector and others, debt and credit funds, energy and infrastructure funds, emerging markets and other geographically-oriented funds, "hard asset" funds, co-investment funds, public equities and hedge funds, venture capital funds, feeder funds and fund-of-funds, and other private investment fund strategies.
As the investment funds market has evolved, clients have routinely turned to Andrew to identify creative solutions and execute pioneering transactions such as: fund tender offers, general partner (GP)-led secondary sales, including both single-asset sales and “strip sales”, other cross-fund transactions, stapled secondaries, investment warehousing and other complex fund-related structures.
Andrew also assists GPs in fund operational matters, including investment structuring and fund-level credit facilities, as well as internal firm matters, such as devising, documenting and implementing internal management, compensation and succession planning arrangements, as well as employee co-investment vehicles and structures. Andrew also counsels fund managers on a wide range of regulatory compliance matters, including SEC compliance and examinations.
Throughout his career, Andrew has been involved as legal counsel in a wide range of complex, high-stakes private fund legal matters, including extraordinary events involving private investment funds and their sponsors, such as "key person" events, parent bankruptcies, investor defaults, strategic investments in a fund sponsor and minority stake sales, spin-outs, seed and anchor investments, crisis management issues and other significant transactions.
Andrew is ranked as a leading investment funds lawyer by numerous publications, including Chambers & Partners, The Legal 500 U.S., IFLR1000, Who's Who Legal and the Guide to the World's Leading Investment Funds Lawyers.
In The Legal 500 U.S.'s Tier 1 ranking of Kirkland & Ellis LLP's private equity funds practice, Andrew is one of the few attorneys recognized in the Hall of Fame for being "at the pinnacle of the profession." He is called out as "one of the best fund formation attorneys out there" and is praised for "knowing the players, the industry, the issues and how to navigate them." The same publication has described Andrew as a "super-bright and thoughtful" attorney who was "singled out for his 'strategic vision, tremendous technical expertise and understanding of the commercial operations of investment funds, rather than just the legal theory.'"
Andrew "is a force to be reckoned with," an "outstanding fund formation lawyer," and is an "extraordinarily knowledgeable and responsive" attorney, who "stands out for his breadth of expertise," according to Chambers USA. Chambers USA's Band 1 ranking of Kirkland & Ellis LLP's fund formation practice says that "Andrew Wright earns sensational feedback from market sources: 'Andrew is extremely intelligent, very personable and takes the time to deliver the highest-quality work product.' One interviewee said: 'We're thrilled to have Andrew on our team and, quite frankly, we don't know what we would do without him.'" Clients describe Andrew as “brilliant” and “very intelligent and thoughtful in his advice.” He regularly works with major sponsors on forming growth equity and buyout funds.
In addition to the many fund sponsors he represents, Andrew's clients have also included institutional limited partners, sovereign wealth funds, investor advisory committees, senior investment professionals, U.S. and non-U.S. family offices, portfolio company executives, corporate affiliates / parents of private fund sponsors, market-leading placement agents and other constituents in the alternative investment space.
Co-author, Private Equity Fundraising: State of the Market and Recent Trends in Terms, Practicing Law Institute, June 2018.
Co-author, New Rules Impact Private Fund Advisers Managing Chinese Insurance Capital, Kirkland Private Equity Newsletter, May 2018.
Co-author, How to Market Private Equity Funds on a Global Basis: Recent Trends in Terms, Practicing Law Institute, June 2016, updated June 2017.
Co-author, SEC Increases Focus on Transaction Fees and Other Broker-Dealer Issues for Private Fund Sponsors, Kirkland Private Equity Newsletter, April 2013.
Author, Eight Tips for Private Funds with Euro Exposure, Law360, December 2011.
Co-author, Insider Trading: Recent Developments, VC Experts, March 2010.
Co-author, Investment Funds in the United States in Practical Law Company's Investment Funds Handbook – February 2009. London: Practical Law Company Limited, February 2009.
Author, New Tax Law Restricts Hedge Fund Fee Deferral Arrangements, Hedge Fund Law Report, October 2008.
Author, Riding in the Side Car: Committed Co-Investment Structures: Key Considerations for Private Equity Fund Sponsors. The Daily Deal, June 2008.
Co-author, Investment Funds in the United States in Practical Law Company's Investment Funds Handbook – February 2008. London: Practical Law Company Limited, February 2008.
Co-author, Fund Formation – United States in Getting the Deal Through – Private Equity 2005. London: Law Business Research Limited, 2005.
Andrew has also been quoted in numerous leading publications, including The Wall Street Journal, Reuters News, Dow Jones Private Equity Analyst, Buyouts, Private Equity News, Private Equity International, The Hedge Fund Law Report, Bloomberg News and others.
Andrew speaks frequently on matters relating to private investment funds. Select recent public speaking engagements include:
- Guest Lecturer, University of Pennsylvania Wharton School seminar on Transactions Involving Private Equity Funds, February 2020
- Speaker, MLA Alternative Asset General Counsel event, October 2019
- Guest Lecturer, Harvard Law School class on Investment Management Law, September 2019
- Panelist, SuperReturn US East, June 2018.
- Guest Lecturer, University of Pennsylvania Law School class on Developing Private Equity Skills, January 2018.
- Guest Lecturer, Harvard Law School class on Investment Management Law, September 2017.
- Panelist, 23rd Annual VCPE Conference at Harvard Business School, January 2017.
- Guest Lecturer, Harvard Law School class on Investment Management Law, September 2016.
- Speaker, Practising Law Institute Seventeenth Annual Private Equity Forum Conference, June 2016.
- Panelist, 21st Annual Columbia Business School Private Equity & Venture Capital Conference, March 2015.
- Speaker, IBA 15th Annual International Conference on Private Investment Funds, March 2014.
- Speaker, Annual Conference of the International Bar Association, October 2013.
- Speaker, IBA/ABA 13th Annual Conference on Private Investment Funds, March 2012.
- Speaker, NY Private Equity Network 2011 Legal Series "Private Equity GP/LP Fund Terms," June 2011.
- Speaker, 16th Annual Venture Capital & Private Equity Conference at Harvard Business School, February 2010.
- Speaker, CFA Society of Washington and Wharton Private Equity Partners LP/GP Roundtable, October 2009.
- Speaker, Practicing Law Institute seminar “Pay to Play”: Implications for Investment Advisers and Placement Agents, September 2009.
- Speaker, 15th Annual Venture Capital & Private Equity Conference at Harvard Business School, January 2009.
- Speaker, Yale University School of Management Private Equity Conference, November 2008.
- Speaker, The 2nd Israeli Private Equity and Venture Capital Summit, November 2008.
- Speaker, 10th Annual Effective Hedge Fund Tax Practices Conference, November 2008.
- Speaker, JP Morgan Hedge Fund Legislative Roundtable, July 2008.
- Speaker, Financial Research Associates LLC's Hedge Fund Tax, Accounting and Administration Master Class, May 2008.
- Speaker, ACA Spring 2008 Compliance Conference, March 2008.
- Speaker, Maples Investment Funds Forum, February 2008.
- Speaker, Institutional Investor/MARHedge Hedge Fund Best Practices Conference, November 2007.
Hall of Fame in The Legal 500, 2020
Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
The Legal 500 U.S., 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Best of the Best USA: The World's Finest Lawyers Chosen by Their Peers, Expert Guides, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017
"Guide to the World's Leading Investment Funds Lawyers," Legal Media Group, 2010
The International Who's Who of Private Funds Lawyers
The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers
Who's Who Legal: Private Funds, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
Who's Who Legal 100, 2012
IFLR1000 Listed “Market Leader”
Best Lawyers Magazine, 2020
Memberships & Affiliations
Member, New York State Bar
Member, Private Investment Funds Forum
Member, Committee on Private Investment Funds of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Founding Member, New York Investment Funds Society
Member, Graduate Advisory Council of The Harvard Crimson
Admissions & Qualifications
- 2000New York
- University of Chicago Law SchoolJ.D.1999Comment Editor, The University of Chicago Legal Forum
- Harvard UniversityA.B., History and Literaturemagna cum laude1996