Kirkland ESG & Impact partner Paul Barker will speak at Stanford Law School’s virtual conference on Voluntary Carbon Markets held on October 25, 2022 via Zoom. The event is co-sponsored by the Stanford Rock Center for Corporate Governance, the Steyer-Taylor Center for Energy Policy and Finance, and the Stanford Doerr School of Sustainability.
This event will cover the following relevant topics for companies participating in Voluntary Carbon Markets (VCMs):
- VCM history, context, and relative scale & importance in the overall effort to mitigate climate change.
- The theoretical limitations of the markets themselves, both as healthy, efficient markets and also in terms of their actual climate impact.
- Whether and how VCMs can contribute to an organization’s overall sustainability strategy.
- If a company chooses to participate, what business and legal considerations are important (e.g., strategy, diligence), and how VCMs can be used responsibly.
- Corporate governance: Where & how VCM participation should be owned within an organization, and how it should be reported without.