Robert Ellis is a litigation partner in Kirkland's Chicago office. His practice focuses principally on complex commercial disputes and class action matters. Rob has represented large corporate clients in a wide variety of complex litigation matters, including breach of contract, professional liability, non-compete and trade secret matters. Rob also has extensive experience defending complex consumer fraud and product liability class actions.
With Peter Hay, "Bridging the Gap Between Rules and Approaches in Tort Choice of Law in the United States: A Survey of Current Case Law," International Lawyer, Vol. 27, No. 2, Summer 1993
Named as a “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation, 2021–2023
Recognized in The Legal 500 U.S., 2017–2018, 2022
Named as one of the "40 Under Forty to Watch," 2006 by Law Bulletin Publishing Co.
Counsel to the Admissions Review Commission formed by Illinois Governor Patrick Quinn to investigate admissions practices at the University of Illinois.
Admissions & Qualifications
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- University of Illinois College of LawJ.D.summa cum laude1991
Order of the Coif
Articles Editor, University of Illinois Law Review
- University of Illinois at Urbana-ChampaignB.S., General Engineering1988
General Engineering Honor Society