Sophia Hudson is a capital markets partner in the New York office of Kirkland & Ellis LLP. Sophia advises clients on SEC disclosure and compliance, governance and general corporate law matters, as well as the full range of capital markets transactions, including initial public offerings and follow-on equity offerings, public and private high-yield, investment-grade and convertible debt offerings and private placements of equity and convertible securities. She has extensive experience with foreign issuers and cross-border transactions.
Her experience ranges across a variety of industries, including technology, consumer goods, financials, industrials, life sciences, mining, retail and specialty pharmaceuticals. She has also represented all the major U.S. investment banks.
Since joining Kirkland, Sophia represented the following clients:
- AbbVie, Affimed, Apax Partners, Associated Materials, Awilhelmsen, Bain Capital, Bausch Health, Bristol Myers Squibb, Carlisle, Colfax, Delphi Technologies, Eli Lilly, Fox, Huntsman, InflaRx, Intelsat, J.C. Penney, KPS Capital Partners, Norwegian Cruise Line, Patient Square Capital, Pharvaris, Pike, Rocket Software, SVB Leerink, TPG RE Finance Trust, Tupperware Brands, United Airlines, viagogo and Warburg Pincus
Prior to joining Kirkland, Sophia represented the following clients:
High-Yield and Convertible Debt
- High-yield or convertible debt offerings of Academy, AK Steel, Avadel, Blackhawk Network, CEVA Logistics, Coinstar (n/k/a Outerwall), GNC, Insulet, Meritor, OneMain Financial, Parexel International, Pittsburgh Glass Works, Stillwater Mining, Sucampo, Unit, Universal American and Bausch Health Companies (f/k/a Valeant)
- The underwriters in connection with investment-grade debt offerings of Coach, Inc., General Motors Co., General Motors Financial, The J.M. Smucker Co., Magellan Health, Medtronic, Merck and The Western Union Co.
IPOs and Other Equity Offerings
- Affimed, Auris Medical, Biotie Therapies, Entera Bio, InflaRX, OneMain Financial, Pernix Therapeutics, Prosensa and Warner Chilcott in connection with their IPOs and/or follow-on equity offerings
- The underwriters in connection with the IPOs and/or other equity offerings for AK Steel, Allena Therapeutics, Bandwidth, ConforMIS, EndoChoice, Evolent Health, Galapagos, Iterum Therapeutics, OncoMed, PTC Therapeutics, REGENXBIO, Spark Therapeutics, Summit Materials and Wesco Aircraft
Recognized as a "Notable Practitioner” for Capital Markets: Equity by IFLR1000, 2021
Named a “Next Generation Partner” for Debt & Equity Offerings, 2020; recognized for Capital Markets: High-Yield Debt Offerings, 2019 and 2020, by The Legal 500 U.S.
Recognized as a “Finance, Banking & Capital Markets Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal, 2019
Recognized as a “Rising Star” by New York Law Journal, 2017
Named a “Rising Star” by Law360 for Life Sciences, 2016
Memberships & Affiliations
Member, Audit Committee of the Partnership of New York City
Partnership for New York City, David Rockefeller Fellow, 2016–2017
Co-Chair, Practising Law Institute’s “How to Prepare an Initial Public Offering,” 2015–2021
Admissions & Qualifications
- New York
- University of Michigan Law SchoolJ.D.magna cum laude2006
Order of the Coif
Associate Editor, Michigan Law Review
- Princeton UniversityA.B., History2000