Renee Smith is a Chambers-ranked litigation partner who represents clients facing high-profile complex products liability, class action and commercial litigation. She has secured trial defense verdicts and other wins for 3M, Abbott Labs, AbbVie Inc., Baxter Healthcare Corporation, Dow Chemical, W.R. Grace, General Motors LLC, Juul Labs, Inc., Kobe Steel, Ltc. and PricewaterhouseCoopers. Renee has won jury trials in multiple federal MDLs, and other state and federal courts across the country.
Recognized in Product Liability: Consumer Class Actions (Nationwide), Chambers USA, 2021–2022
Recognized by The Legal 500 U.S.
- Product Liability, Mass Tort and Class Action: Consumer Products (including Tobacco), 2021–2022
- Product Liability, Mass Tort and Class Action: Automotive/Transport, 2022
- Product Liability, Mass Tort and Class Action: Defense: Toxic Tort, 2022
Admissions & Qualifications
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois1995
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois2009
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit2003
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit2006
- Harvard Law SchoolJ.D.
cum laude1995General Editor, Civil Rights — Civil Liberties Law Review
- Miami UniversityB.A.
summa cum laude1992Phi Beta Kappa