Helen E. Witt, P.C.
Helen Witt concentrates her practice in mass torts, class actions and business practices litigation.
Helen was one of several Kirkland attorneys involved in the representation of Motorola Inc. in the Baker v. Motorola case. This major litigation victory was profiled by The National Law Journal in Motorola Defeats Huge Property Damage Claim and as a Defense Win of the Month in Overcoming a Hurdle With Public Property Records. She is currently national counsel for a major pharmaceutical company in cases brought by the Department of Justice, state Attorneys General and various classes related to pharmaceutical reimbursement. Helen has tried numerous cases to successful verdicts before judges, juries and arbitration panels, including a six month jury trial in state court in California earlier this year that resulted in a defense verdict.
Other Professional and Civic Activities
Visiting Committee Member, University of Chicago Law School (2009 to 2011)
Member, Board of Directors, Federal Bar Association, Chicago Chapter (2006 to 2009)
Co-Chair of the ABA's Scientific Evidence Committee, Section of Science and Technology Law (2004 to 2006)
Co-Editor, "Current Issues At the Crossroads of Science, Technology and the Law," Scientific Evidence Review, Mono. 7 (2006)
Author, "Expert Evidence in the Seventh Circuit," Scientific Evidence Review, Mono. 4 (2001), Mono. 6 (2003), Mono. 8 (2008), and Mono. 9 (2013)
Member, Board of Trustees, Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago (1998-2004)
Adjunct Professor, Trial Practice and Complex Civil Litigation, University of Chicago Law School (2004-2007)
Member, Parents Philanthropy Board, The George Washington University (2012 to present)
Admissions & Qualifications
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit1985
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit1985
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit1999
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit2002
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida2006
- Supreme Court of the United States2010
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois2012
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas2012
- University of Chicago Law SchoolJ.D.1982Hinton Prize (1981) for First Place in Appellate Moot Court competition
- Yale UniversityB.A.1979