In December 1995, after five weeks of research involving a team of 14 editors and reporters who interviewed hundreds of leading lawyers, managing partners and clients, The American Lawyer released a list of 45 lawyers under the age of 45 who have:
- demonstrated legal ability;
- earned the respect of their peers;
- an impressive client following;
- generated significant business for their firms; and
- demonstrated leadership within their firms.
Two Kirkland & Ellis attorneys, David Bernick and Emily Nicklin, were included in "Forty-five Under 45" as attorneys who are making their mark today and who will lead the profession tomorrow.