Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
…expert cybersecurity and data privacy practice group that tackles its demanding clients’ security and privacy issues. - Global Data Review 100, 2022
Our Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Practice Group focuses on the evolving business, technological and legal issues relating to the security and privacy of networks and data. We represent clients in investigations, crisis response to data breach incidents, litigation, government relations, counseling and transactions. Our multidisciplinary team of lawyers across the United States, Europe and Asia deploys extensive experience on matters including application of:
- the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR);
- the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA);
- China’s Cybersecurity Law;
- the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA);
- the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA);
- the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA);
- U.S. and international data breach notification laws;
- the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA); and
- other statutes applicable to evolving issues in cybersecurity and data privacy.
We have represented clients across a wide range of industries, including retail, life sciences, financial services, software, media and hospitality in all types of matters related to data security and privacy. Representations include:
- Acting as trial counsel in consumer class actions concerning data security breaches and misuses of personal information, including alleged unfair or deceptive trade practices that result in loss of personal information;
- Advising private equity sponsors and other buyers on transactions in which data security incidents have the potential to impact a company’s sale; and
- Advising companies, their officers and Boards on cyberattacks and working with them on crisis response and internal investigations, including directing outside accounting and forensics experts.
Furthermore, we draw on the deep government service experience of many of our partners, including a former U.S. Attorney General and former U.S. Deputy Attorney General, a former White House Counsel and former Deputy White House Counsel, and multiple former senior DOJ, SEC, and FTC officials. This allows us to more ably advise clients on congressional hearings, FTC investigations and inquiries by state attorneys general.