Garret Leach is a nationally recognized first chair trial lawyer who focuses on patent and other intellectual property litigation. He is a registered patent attorney and has successfully led litigation teams in district courts throughout the country as well as at the International Trade Commission. He has also argued for his clients before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. His appellate arguments include a successful argument in front of the entire Federal Circuit sitting en banc.
Garret has litigated and counseled a diverse mix of clients across a variety of technologies, including protective cases, lighting fixtures, food packaging, website functionality, dental compounds, windshield wipers, cosmetics, abrasives and automotive glass.
In addition to litigating throughout the country, Garret has taken an active role as a past President and Board Member of the Intellectual Property Association of Chicago. He has used the experience and relationships he has developed to help clients navigate difficult intellectual property issues and, where possible, avoid litigation.
In 2018, Garret was recognized as an “Intellectual Property Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal and was listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business for Intellectual Property. In 2015, Garret was recognized by The Legal 500 U.S. In 2013, he was recognized by the Financial Times as an “Innovative Lawyer” for his work on a successful ITC matter and related Federal Circuit Appeal. Since 2012, Garret has been named an “Illinois Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers magazine.
Memberships & Affiliations
Member, Trial Bar for the Northern District of Illinois
Past President and Board Member, Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago
Admissions & Qualifications
- 1996, Illinois
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar1999
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin1999
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit1999
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan2000
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit2004
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin2006
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois2007
- United States District Court for the District of Nebraska2008
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas2011
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado2011
- United States Court of International Trade2014
- Loyola University Chicago School of LawJ.D.magna cum laude1996Articles Editor, Law Journal
- University of Illinois at Urbana-ChampaignB.S., Industrial Engineering1990