Ragan Naresh litigates complex civil disputes in federal courts, state courts, and arbitrations across the country, with a focus on cases in the energy, agriculture, and telecommunications sectors. Ragan represents clients from pre-trial briefing and discovery through trial and appeal, and has achieved numerous significant outcomes from his clients. For example, Ragan was recently recognized for his work in obtaining a series of favorable rulings for client Chesapeake Energy in Ohio, including entry of summary judgment in two certified statewide class actions. Ragan’s work has been recognized by Super Lawyers, where he was named a “Rising Star” five times, and by the Legal 500 for his work in energy litigation and false advertising litigation.
Ragan also has significant experience litigating class actions and multi-district litigations. Ragan has represented clients in class actions filed in more than 25 states, and has represented clients at all stages of the class action process—including class certification and trial. Ragan frequently lectures on class actions at the D.C. Bar and the Federal Bar Association, and has written numerous articles on that topic. In 2018, Ragan was recognized by Law360 as one of six attorneys nationwide as a “Rising Star” for his work in class action litigation.
Ragan serves on the Board of Directors of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, and maintains an active pro bono practice. For example, Ragan and a team of Kirkland lawyers, in partnership with the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law and the Washington Lawyers’ Committee, recently won a precedent-setting judgment holding neo-Nazi defendants liable for hate crimes and harassment after Kirkland’s client was elected as the first female African-American student body president of American University. Ragan also represents clients in immigration and asylum proceedings on a pro bono basis.
Ragan also serves as the hiring partner in Kirkland’s Washington, D.C. office.
“Class Action Settlement Approval in an Era of Heightened Judicial Scrutiny,” Dan Donovan, Ragan Naresh and Carrie J. Bodner, N.Y. Law Journal (February 27, 2019)
“Mitigating Energy Litigation Where Gaps in Jurisprudence Exist,” Dan Donovan, Ragan Naresh and Alexandra Caritis, Texas Lawyer (August 10, 2018)
Faculty at DC Bar and Federal Bar Association in CLE courses related to class action litigation developments
Faculty at DC Bar on litigation skills training
Adjunct Professor of Law, Catholic University Law School
Kirkland & Ellis LLP Pro Bono Service Award
Super Lawyers Rising Star (2014–present)
Law360 Rising Star, Class Action Litigation
The Legal 500, Energy Litigation
Admissions & Qualifications
- 2008New York
- 2008District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the District of North Dakota
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Georgetown University Law CenterJ.D.magna cum laude2007Order of the Coif
- Tulane UniversityB.A., Political Economy & German Studies2001