Mark Premo-Hopkins is a trial partner in Kirkland’s Chicago office. Mark serves as lead trial counsel in a broad range of complex disputes – handling matters as diverse as plaintiff-side commercial claims and defense of product liability cases – for some of the world’s largest technology, pharmaceutical and chemical companies. Recent examples include:
- After parachuting in months before a federal jury trial, Mark and his team won a zero damages judgment for his client in the face of a $55 million damage claim arising out of contract and business tort claims brought by a former JV partner in a software development project. The American Lawyer selected Mark and his partner as “Litigators of the Week” based on the win.
- Mark and his team won a jury trial in Delaware state court, where the court entered judgment of more than $100 million for his client based on defendants’ fraud in the sale of a clinical trial software business. The American Lawyer selected Mark and his partner as “Litigators of the Week” based on the win.
- Mark and his teams won confidential awards as lead trial counsel for his clients in two arbitrations — one for a crop protection company vindicating its rights in an R&D joint venture worth hundreds of millions of dollars, and another for a technology company pursuing substantial damages arising out of a complex hardware supply contract.
Mark also has deep experience on behalf of private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies, and his clients benefit from the unique perspective and strategic insights he gained during four years as a successful plaintiff’s attorney.
When he’s not trying cases, Mark is an avid golfer and guitarist who loves coaching youth sports for his local Park District.
Litigator of the Week — Litigation Daily, January 2023
“40 & Under Hot List” — Benchmark Litigation, 2020–2022
Rising Star (General/Business Litigation) — Illinois Super Lawyers, 2017–2021
E-Discovery — The Legal 500 U.S., 2021 & 2023
Litigator of the Week — Litigation Daily, June 2019
“40 Under 40” — Chicago Lawyer and The Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 2018
Rising Star (General/Business Litigation) — Colorado Super Lawyers, 2014–2015
Admissions & Qualifications
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- University of Chicago Law SchoolJ.D.with Honors2007
Editor-in-Chief, University of Chicago Legal Forum
Donald E. Egan Scholarship
Ann Watson Barber Outstanding Service Award
- University of AlabamaB.A., Religious Studiesmagna cum laude2003