Martin Roth is a litigation partner whose diverse trial practice spans the oil and gas, health care, private equity, real estate, professional services, and retail industries. Martin has won trials for clients like British Petroleum, Sycamore Partners, and Bixby Bridge Capital and achieved favorable outcomes through motion practice, negotiated settlements, and arbitration for clients including former NBA player Derek Fisher.
Martin has advised and successfully represented many private equity clients and their portfolio companies, including 3i Group, AE Industrial, Summit Partners, Sun Capital Partners, and Wind Point Partners, in a wide range of disputes — including M&A litigation, commercial and contract disputes, employment matters, working capital, earn-out and valuation disputes, and trade secrets litigation.
Martin is actively involved in the development and growth of the Firm’s transactional risk insurance practice and co-leads the Firm’s Rep & Warranty insurance claims team, which assists clients in evaluating and making claims arising out of private equity and public M&A transactions.
Martin’s commitment to excellence extends beyond his legal practice. He graduated with honors from Harvard College, where he was a national debate champion, and received his J.D. magna cum laude from Cornell Law School. Before joining Kirkland, Martin clerked on the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals for the Honorable Michael Kanne.
“Securities Law and the Supremacy Clause,” Securities Regulation Daily, April 30, 2021
"Virtual Litigation in the Post-Pandemic Era?," Bloomberg Law, November 9, 2020
Rep & Warranty Insurance Claims: Lessons Learned and Practice Tips, September 12, 2018
#TwitterEthics: Issues Created by Social Media Use at Trial, Federal Bar Association (Chicago Chapter), May 2016
Panel presenter on Fisher v. Texas pro bono work at various panels held at Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank, Chicago Bar Association, American Jewish Committee, University of Michigan Law School, University of Chicago Law School, and Northwestern Law School, 2012–2013
Recognized as “40 Under 40” by Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 2020
Honored as an "Illinois Rising Star" by Super Lawyers since 2014
Memberships & Affiliations
Law360 2022 Illinois Editorial Advisory Board
American Jewish Committee, Marshall Society Member and Past President of ACCESS Chicago Board
Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Mentor
Admissions & Qualifications
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- Cornell Law SchoolJ.D.magna cum laude2007
Order of the Coif
Article Editor, Cornell Law Review
- Harvard UniversityB.A., Governmentcum laude20042004 American Parliamentary Debate Association National Champion